Various thoughts while reading the book (there may be spoilers):
- A few dozen pages in, this book is about 50% pretty good, 20% really good, and 30% cute.
- Neat vampire concept. According to his podcast, Super Scare Haunted Homeschool, he spent a ridiculous amount of time studying vampire lore history, and it shows. He took a very unique approach to the vampire, while at the same time, keeping it very obviously a recognizable vampire.
- Overtly sexual without being sexy. The transfer of fluids in a very specific bodily location increases the rape-yness that vampirism already exemplifies.
- About 2/3 of the way through, the book is 60% pretty good, 30% really good, and still 10% cute.
- All the husbands in this book suck. Not a single one is a redeemable character.
- Time jump! Finding it hard to believe in the 3-year gap, maybe it will pay off in some way.
- COCKROACH IN THE EAR BURN IT WITH FIRE
- Oof, turning the kids’ situations into what could easily be viewed nowadays as “grooming” makes it even creepier.
- There is no way Grace would have come through in the end, based on how she acted the rest of the time. Probably the only part of the book where I had a legit problem w/ where Hendrix took the plot.
- 3-year gap not really paid off, would have probably made more sense with one year.
- Book’s over. I go back to the original statement – 50% pretty good, 20% really good, 30% cute.
Not bad over all. I would give it it 6-out-of-10 Cockroaches wriggling their way into your ear. You’re welcome for the image.